Hannibal Lecter + Doors
Embroidered brooches by cOnieco
just saw an anti violence campagn that said “real men don’t hit women” like???? yes. yes they do. those are real men doing those things, and that’s why i don’t trust them. stop appealing to men’s fragile masculinity in order to coerce them into being decent human beings 2k14.
[3/5] actresses » Scarlett Johansson
[Painting of Death as a spectral nanny taking a child and infant away from their bereaved family. A detail shows the family’s house number is 1918.]
I never realized this until seeing the detail, but this painting is most likely about the flu pandemic.
it’s really interesting seeing death portrayed as a woman
replace all the vowels in your name with the letter ‘a’ gO
Content warning: This post is about sentiments leading to murder of people with disabilities. Proceed with caution.
At an autism conference recently, I heard the father of a 20 year old autistic man say in his speech to the whole conference, “I hope to live one heartbeat longer than he does. I’m sure many of you feel the same way about your children.”
That sentiment gets people killed. If you are the parent of a disabled child and you say things like this, it is a matter of life-and-death importance that you stop talking this way. The father who said this is probably entirely correct that many of the other parents in the audience felt the same way. I have heard this sentiment expressed by many other parents of children with disabilities (not just autism.)
Parents who hope to outlive their autistic children are talking about people who, barring tragedy, will almost certainly outlive their parents. Autism does not limit lifespan; most autistic people should live to be old. If you hope to outlive your autistic child, it means that you are hoping that their life will be tragically cut short. It means you think they’re better off dead than they would be living without you. That’s dangerous.
It’s not true. Nobody is better off dead. It is not a blessing to die young. Expressing a desire for someone to die young is not love. (People who say this may well love their children in other ways, but this sentiment is not love.)
Please stop implying that your child will be unable to live and be happy after you die. People just like your child live on in adulthood after their parents die, and your child can too. And they will have a much easier time of it if you accept that they will outlive you, and help them to prepare for their life without you.
The only way it’s likely to live a heartbeat longer than your autistic child is if you kill them and then yourself. Many parents who feel this way do exactly that. And, even if you would never kill your child, people who are considering committing murder can hear what you say. If you say that you hope to live a heartbeat longer than your child, it makes the murder that is the only way this can plausibly happen seem like a much more legitimate choice. Don’t give potential murders that kind of encouragement.
In the disability community, we observe a day of mourning and read a list of people with disabilities murdered by caregivers.
The list is long. And it’s only a list of the names we know. There are many others who died without making the news.
I hope and pray that your child never ends up on this list. I hope and pray that they outlive you and have a happy and meaningful adulthood. I hope and pray that this list never gets any longer.
One murder is too many. Not ever again.
Under the cut is the (as of this post) current list of the names we know. In loving memory; may these murders be the last:
- fandom please I implore you all to talk about Dean Thomas more
- literally yelling for a red card during a Quidditch match
- painting a potter for president banner for his friend HOW CUTE
- offering to forge a signature so that same friend could go to the village with the rest of them
- actually he paints banners supporting Harry on two separate occasions four years apart
- is it weirder that he keeps doing that or that Harry keeps getting himself into situations where he requires banners
- good with a quill be still my beating heart the boy is an artist
- literally not giving a single fuck that their teacher was a “dangerous half-breed” because he respected the hell out of him as a person and educator
- IF YOU MEAN PROFESSOR LUPIN, HE WAS THE BEST WE EVER -
- and he grew up as a muggle so he had already been exposed to werewolf folklore and he had every excuse to be afraid or prejudiced and instead decided to judge him on a human level, even without the familiarity the trio etc. had to him
- standing up for that same teacher time and time again
- including to a ministry official who he just generally gave the sass to anyway
- never losing his faith in Harry even when his very best friend in the whole world and approximately 89% of the wizarding community basically thought the bloke was a nutjob
- convincing his best mate to join DA
there was a fair bit of an anti-dean sentiment in HBP best to ignore that then
- never having any animosity towards his friend for getting together with his ex-girlfriend so soon
- completely supporting and defending Harry while on the run because OBVIOUSLY why stop now after seven years of doing literally that at every single opportunity
- being completely bemused by but always kind towards Luna
- helping to dig the grave on the beach
- running out into the final battle without a fucking wand
- evidently winning one at some point
- everything to do with him and Seamus however you want to view their relationship but frankly I could do a whole other post on that
also I met Alfie once and he was so pretty
- dEAN THOMAS